Prostate Cancer Survivorship
After your prostate cancer treatment, you may have ongoing health issues that need monitoring. We provide continuing specialized care for your transition from active treatment to daily life as a cancer survivor.
We will review your current quality of life, including mood, overall energy and sexual health, and discuss any concerns you may have. We will do a complete physical exam and provide the results to your primary care doctor.
Our experienced team of doctors, nurses, counselors, dietitians and research coordinators can help you:
- Decide which survivorship programs might be best for you
- Manage any complications
- Limit possible side effects from your treatment
- Check for cancer recurrence
- Give you access to clinical studies
- Make diet and exercise recommendations for better overall health
As part of your survivorship care after prostate cancer, we also help you understand more about your treatment options, possible short- and long-term effects, and how to identify and manage complications. We watch for cancer recurrence and manage your treatment side effects.
Your survivorship visits may include:
- Physical exam
- Education on your treatment and side effects
- Identifying and managing complications
- Reviewing your general health and well-being
- Monitoring for cancer recurrence
- Assessing and managing your treatment side effects
- Risk assessments and education for family members
There are a few helpful websites you may want to visit to learn more about prostate cancer:
- US TOO International, Inc. (a prostate cancer support group organization): The Greater Kansas City chapter of US TOO holds prostate cancer support groups at The University of Kansas Hospital, 4000 Cambridge St., Kansas City, KS. Call 913-588-1227 for more information.
- Prostate Cancer Foundation
- National Cancer Institute (part of the U.S. National Institutes of Health)
- American Cancer Society
- Cancer.net (by the American Society of Clinical Oncology)
The University of Kansas Cancer Center does not assume responsibility for any of the information posted on these sites.