The Women's Cancer Center
The Women’s Cancer Center at The University of Kansas Cancer Center in Kansas City focuses solely on breast and gynecologic cancers, along with improving the delivery of cancer care. Here, specialists from one of the country’s leading National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer centers work in tandem to offer the most advanced treatments for the most common cancers in women with care and compassion.
Being the only women's cancer treatment program of its kind in Kansas City and the surrounding region, The Women’s Cancer Center provides integrated, multidisciplinary care from the moment you walk in through your survivorship. Our team of academic experts comprises numerous female cancer specialties, including breast and gynecologic surgical oncology, breast medical oncology and breast reconstruction and plastic surgery.
These nationally and internationally recognized disease-dedicated specialists will evaluate you on the same day and come together to develop and provide a comprehensive treatment plan for each woman based on her individual needs. You can also receive necessary imaging and biopsies during your visit.
Because there is an association among women’s cancers — and in some of the cancers men can develop as well — we have expertise caring for those at high risk for and who are affected by women’s cancers. Our genetic counselors can help you understand your risk for developing breast cancer and ovarian cancer and what it means for your family members, who may also want genetic testing.
Begin your cancer journey with a second opinion
We know the value of getting a second opinion on a cancer diagnosis. Let us help you navigate your cancer journey. Connect with one of our nurse navigators at 913-588-1227 or 844-323-1227 to schedule your cancer second opinion.Learn more
Dense breast care
Learn from a breast expert what it means to have dense breast tissue.Learn more
Exceptional care for women's cancers
- Multidisciplinary experts focused exclusively on specialized cancer care for women
- Services spanning breast surgery, breast medical oncology, breast radiation oncology, breast reconstruction, gynecologic oncology, breast and ovarian cancer prevention, survivorship and more
- Patient-centric approach: coordinated imaging and clinical appointments
- Breast imaging
- Personalized care plans created by a collaborative physician team
- Subspecialty support to reduce complications and improve outcomes
- Specialty-trained nurse navigators
- Individualized approach to screening and prevention
- Genetic counseling for the entire family
- Nationally recognized program leading clinical trials and changing the standards of cancer care
A breast cancer diagnosis is life-changing, not only for the affected individual but for their family as well. At The Women’s Cancer Center, our multidisciplinary team of breast cancer specialists designs effective personalized treatment plans for each individual based on their genetic, environmental and lifestyle factors. Our team provides:
- Breast radiation oncology
- Breast cancer survivorship
- Breast cancer diagnosis
- Breast surgery
- Breast reconstruction and plastic surgery
- Breast cancer prevention clinic for women with a high risk of cancer and testing for genetic cancer syndromes like BRCA1, BRCA2 and Lynch syndrome
- Breast medical oncology (chemotherapy)
Breast reconstruction following a mastectomy or lumpectomy is not for every woman, but every woman should be informed of the options to which she is legally entitled.
When facing a breast cancer diagnosis and treatment, women must navigate the unknown, with little to no awareness from their traditional support system. There are several factors to consider when deciding whether to get breast reconstruction after mastectomy:
- You have options: From implants to borrowed tissue from elsewhere on the body, women want to know the fastest and healthiest options for their reconstruction.
- You can refine and revise: Breast reconstruction is a process. The journey will likely involve multiple procedures, office visits or surgeries.
- You’ll need patience for the process: There may be implications to insurance coverage based on the care plan at the point of cancer treatment. Treatment plans may influence timing for breast reconstruction.
The American Society of Plastic Surgeons and The Plastic Surgery Foundation lead the Breast Reconstruction Awareness USA Campaign, one of the few breast cancer campaigns dedicated to building awareness around breast reconstruction options. The plastic surgery team at The University of Kansas Health System actively supports these campaigns.
Our gynecologic oncologists are expertly trained specialists who are dedicated to providing compassionate and comprehensive care. Our multidisciplinary team collaborates to tailor a treatment plan based on your individual needs and the genetic makeup of your particular type of cancer. We provide:
Our personalized and comprehensive care includes genetic counseling and testing for patients and their families who may be at risk for hereditary cancers. We offer genetic testing to assess risk for hereditary cancer syndromes, including breast and ovarian cancer (BRCA1 and BRCA2), Lynch syndrome and more. Our services include:
- Review up to 3 generations of your family history
- Discuss your and your children’s risk factors for cancer
- Cascade testing and genetic counseling for the entire family
The Women’s Cancer Center provides support services for patients and families diagnosed with and at risk of cancer in concert with care and treatment. Our personalized and comprehensive care involves identifying challenges and providing tools to manage them, whether they are physical, nutritional, spiritual, social or psychological. These support services include, but are not limited to: